Favourite pasta times
The unthinkable has happened. A summer craving for carbs. Specifically pasta. This is a most unusual turn of events. Not unlike a light switch, the moment summer arrives my love of pasta and potato all but dries up. Until apparently this week.
Whether it was the distinct change in temperature on the weekend compared to the roasting 45 degrees celsius last Friday (that’s 113 degrees for all you fahrenheit kids) or the subliminal messages one receives from flicking through endless food mags, I had a burning desire for all things pasta. Come Sunday night I figured, why not, I’ve been rubbish at staying away from processed foods all week, what’s another day going to matter?! So armed with my lack of self-discipline and a well-developed appetite, I ventured into the kitchen.
Pasta is one of those incredibly versatile ingredients that I really shouldn’t dismiss just because it’s summer. Yet I do. There are so many ways to use it and it’s the perfect partner for simple, fresh ingredients. Plus it works hot or cold. So although this recipe is hardly a revelation, I have grand plans to stick pasta-based numbers back on the dinner roster (with perhaps a few more gym sessions added to the mix!) coupled with some more inventive flavour combinations… Stay tuned!
Vegetarian pasta (serves 2)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 medium capsicums (1 red, 1 yellow), thinly sliced
- 2 punnets grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped basil
- 16 kalamata olives, chopped
- 80 gm fetta, chopped
- Black pepper
- Parmesan, grated
- Angel hair or fine pasta (enough for 2 servings)
- Rocket, to serve
- Lightly fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until golden. Add the capsicum and 2/3 of the tomatoes. Cook until the capsicum starts to soften and the tomatoes have turned into a rough sauce.
- Add the remaining tomatoes and zucchini and cook until just soft. Stir through the chives, basil and olives and set aside until ready.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions. Drain and mix the sauce through. Top with the fetta, cracked pepper, parmesan and rocket to serve.