Bake my day!
My Mum has always told me not to cook when my heart isn’t in it or when I’m angry and it is usually good advice, especially when it comes to baking. Cakes do not appreciate being overworked! That said, sometimes the only thing that makes sense after a really frustrating day is getting completely lost in the kitchen.
Having had my far share of frustrating days lately, I felt the need to indulge in some quality kitchen time – just me, my KitchenAid and a trusty oven! I can’t begin to tell you how much better I felt afterwards either, it was way more satisfying than any gym workout and I slept like a baby afterwards. Bliss!Banana cake with passionfruit icing (makes 16-18 individual cakes/muffins or two larger cakes)
- 150gm butter, softened
- 2 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk with 1tsp bicarb soda (dissolved)
- 3 self-raising flour, sifted
- 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 75gm butter, softened
- 3-4tsp passionfruit juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and lightly grease a 24 capacity muffin tin (medium) or two 20cm round cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the banana and vanilla and mix well.
- Add sifted flour and milk alternatively and stir until just combined.
- Bake for about 20 minutes if making individual cakes or 35 minutes if making the larger cakes.
- To make the icing, whisk the ingredients together in an electric mixer on high until smooth. Wait until the cakes are completely cool before icing.