Lunch Box Special #1
Over the last few months my mundane lunches have become somewhat of a running joke in the office. Every day the same question, “What’s for lunch Cate” and 99% of the time I respond with the same answer, “Salad!”. Even the woman who serves me tends to raise an eyebrow if I order something other than my “usual”. As one of her most loyal customers, I happen to think she should keep those thoughts to herself!
I suppose for a so-called foodie it does seem a bit strange that I eat the same salad two or even three times a week but in my defence I like them! I am willing to shake things up though, especially if it gives me a chance to get creative in the kitchen. With any luck, my colleagues might also find something new to joke about!
This recipe is really easy and on the whole, pretty healthy. Plus it works both hot and cold. You can make mini muffins (which by the way, make awesome finger food), larger muffins, loaves or a slice, whatever takes your fancy.
- 2 zucchinis, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- 200gm fetta (reserving about 30gm for decorating)
- 70gm cream cheese (or greek yoghurt)
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1/2 punnet grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease either a 12 hole muffin tin, a 24 mini muffin tin or a 20cm round tin.
- Squeeze the excess juice from the zucchini and carrot (I find the easiest way to do this is by using a muslin cloth and squeezing it tighter and tighter).
- Add the zucchini, carrot, onion, chives, mint, cream cheese (or yoghurt), lemon juice and pepper and toss through. Add the flour and mix well.
- Add the eggs and olive oil and stir to combine.
- Spoon into whatever tray you are using and decorate with the tomatoes (cut side up) and extra fetta.
- For the mini muffins, bake for about 15 minutes or until firm and golden brown, for the large muffins, bake for about 25 minutes and for the round loaf, bake for about 40 minutes.